Tuesday 8 November 2011

Coversations #2 The Frog King

Another title for this fairy tale is 'Iron Heinrich' because even the Grimms could see that the most interesting and dynamic character in the whole story was Iron Heinrich at the end with his crazy iron bands.

As a side note, there are a couple more occasional themes I'm going to post about. I want to review movies made based on the story I'm reviewing - in this case most likely the Hallmark 'Frog Prince' and Disney's 'Princess and the Frog'; and I've also been asked to explore the lives of my More Interesting Side Characters, so there will be the occasional drabble or short story about them, their lives, and their motivations. Yes. Including The Horse from Faithful John.

Conversations:

#1:
I imagine this as a conversation happening around the beginning of the story. Scene: Daytime interior castle, King in throne, daughters playing music and doing needlework, enter Princess Jeanie!

Jeanie: Daaad....
King: *clears throat*
Jeanie: Oh. Sorry. Um. Your Majesty...
King: Yes, sunblossom?
Jeanie: Can I sta...
King: _May_, peachgoodness.
Jeanie: _May_ I stay inside and learn the lute today?
King: *puts down paper and takes off reading glasses, replaces these with 'glasses that are so loose I can look over the top of them at you' bought at the very same store Dumbledore shops at* Why applesnap, whatever is the matter with that golden ball I had made especially for you?
Jeanie: *looks at ball* ...it's really heavy, dad... it makes my arms hurt...
King: Builds character.
Jeanie: It's building my triceps too.
King: All princes like their princesses to have a little meat on them, honeysugarpie.
Jeanie: Not when I can armwrestle them, dad.
King: Nonsense! Gold and old wells are the best thing for a gell, it's what my mother swore by. Now go outside and play, you're far too pale.
Jeanie: But...
King: No buts!

#2:
Set shortly after Jeanie and His Frogship drive off in the carriage.

Jeanie: So - um - I've got to marry you now?
Frogship: That's right.
Jeanie: But I don't know you.
Frogship: That really doesn't matter, dear thing, we'll grow to love and adore each other within days.
Jeanie: Days?
Frogship: If not hours, it's how things work.
Jeanie: *pause* What if I say I don't want to marry you?
Frogship: Then I turn back into a frog and live with you the rest of your life anyway! *large white-toothed grin*
Jeanie: *gulp* .......so - about my gown for the wedding....

Poor Jeanie. She should have run off with Henry.

2 comments:

  1. Jeanie should just squish the frog!!!! Squish it with the golden ball. Throw it right at his face!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahha princess-y triceps! That HAS to be a part of our story somewhere, my dear :D

    ReplyDelete